sailing…

When it was decided that we were to sail for Italy, they transferred Paul and some other prisoners to a centurion of the Augustan Cohort, named Julius. 2Embarking on a ship of Adramyttium that was about to set sail to the ports along the coast of Asia, we put to sea, accompanied by Aristarchus, a Macedonian from Thessalonica. 3The next day we put in at Sidon; and Julius treated Paul kindly, and allowed him to go to his friends to be cared for. 4Putting out to sea from there, we sailed under the lee of Cyprus, because the winds were against us. 5After we had sailed across the sea that is off Cilicia and Pamphylia, we came to Myra in Lycia. 6There the centurion found an Alexandrian ship bound for Italy and put us on board. 7We sailed slowly for a number of days and arrived with difficulty off Cnidus, and as the wind was against us, we sailed under the lee of Crete off Salmone. 8Sailing past it with difficulty, we came to a place called Fair Havens, near the city of Lasea. 9Since much time had been lost and sailing was now dangerous, because even the Fast had already gone by, Paul advised them, 10saying, “Sirs, I can see that the voyage will be with danger and much heavy loss, not only of the cargo and the ship, but also of our lives.” 11But the centurion paid more attention to the pilot and to the owner of the ship than to what Paul said. 12Since the harbor was not suitable for spending the winter, the majority was in favor of putting to sea from there, on the chance that somehow they could reach Phoenix, where they could spend the winter. It was a harbor of Crete, facing southwest and northwest. (Acts 27:1-12, NRSV)

I have been sailing on Green Bay, not the city but the actual bay.

Most times probably 73% of the time it was calm and smooth. The other 27% though was rough, choppy, and windy. There were times I was wondering what we had thought coming out into this, and there were times we were heading out expecting it to be bad because of the weather on land, but when we got out on the bay it was very calm, almost too calm to sail.

Sailing is fickle and can change quickly, you have to be ready for whatever may come and be ready to hunker down and ride the storm. That is a hard thing to say for a person who doesn’t swim very well and has a fear of water. But I would not change my time on the water with my friends and it is actually something I will dearly miss.

Sometimes you were out and had to keep going. That is where they found themselves here. Paul saw that the voyage was going to be rough, but they went anyway.

Have you ever gone against someone saying we shouldn’t go?

We often risk the rough to be on the water, and sometimes it works and others are rides we never forget.

How do we focus our lives on God so we are not venturing out on our own but always with God?

Published by asacredrebel

Lions tamed Dragons slain Leaders equipped Disciples trained Jedi Christian Living the Gospel out loud!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: